Friday, March 4, 2011

The Journey

The Journey / 24" x 24" / Acrylic on canvas SOLD
For several years now, most of my artistic energies have been poured into my writing (www.runningoffatthemouth.wordpress.com) and commercial art. When I do get to paint (which isn’t often), I usually do so for my own pleasure – with no thought to having the work seen by others or exhibited in a show.  
The in the fall of this past year, my friend Kim Rempel (http://www.eatdrinkpaint.blogspot.com/)   told me about a gallery owner in Ayr, Ontario that she was working with to mount a special exhibit of paintings to celebrate the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day (http://www.ayrspace.ca/). Kim and I both decided to answer the call for entries, as did another friend of ours, Debra MacMillan (http://www.myimmaculateconvection.blogspot.com/).

My offering to the exhibit is pictured above. Titled “The Journey”, it speaks to that dark place women have come from in the last 100 years and the voyage they have taken… a voyage many women in this modern world are still faced with.   The style of this piece is a departure from the way I usually paint, but when I set out, I made a conscious decision to try and paint what I was feeling. I really love the way it turned out.

2 comments:

  1. Awww Shell... I'm really happy you've awakened this dormant part of your soul ; ) I love your painting too and look forward to sharing some wine and good conversation with you this weekend! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly,

    It was great meeting you. This is going to be fun -- being a blogger. And hard work too, but so worth it. There are many women right here in Toronto who are still on that journey, and held back by family and cultural restrictions. So you go girl (as Oprah would say.) Great thoughts.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete